New York Cultural Heritage Tourism Network

The Landmarks Society of Greater Utica

The Landmarks Society of Greater Utica

1124 State Street
Utica NY 13502
315.732.7376

Category: Museums & Related Organizations

Description: The Landmarks Society of Greater Utica was chartered by the State of New York on October 25, 1974, as a nonprofit educational corporation to preserve historic buildings and districts in the Greater Utica Area. Since its inception, Landmarks has been the leading voice for the preservation and restoration of historic, irreplaceable buildings, districts and sites in the Greater Utica Area. We value the architectural richness of these structures, the special character they give to our neighborhoods and communities, and the contributions they make to our area’s economy, culture and unique sense of place. Our members represent all ages, professions and walks of life – but come together to share a common enthusiasm for historic buildings, to raise public awareness of their importance, and to advocate their protection and reuse in a variety of ways. Landmarks is known and respected for its long-term dedication and substantial contributions to the preservation of historic architecture, pr

Our Story: The elegant mansions of the Rutger-Steuben Park National Historic District reflect the prosperity of Utica between the years of 1830 and 1890. The names of the original occupants are a roster of the important merchants and industrialists of a young America, and Rutger Street as a whole still contains numerous examples of late nineteenth century villas executed in the Italianate style. It is one of the largest groupings of these structures in the Northeast, and its significance earned it a place on the National Register in 1973. The centerpiece of the neighborhood are the five original mansions of Rutger Park which, until the 1994 demolition of Number 2, offered a nearly complete ensemble of major nineteenth century American domestic architecture styles. The elegant mansions not only reflect the stature of their early owners, but also the general prosperity of Utica before 1900. During that period, the opening of the Erie and Chenango Canals, coupled with the establishment of the textile industry in Utica and along the Oriskany and Sauquoit Creek, the building of railroads and continuing agricultural production (including the export of cheddar cheese and hops) brought major economic growth to Central New York, from which Utica especially benefited. In 2008, Landmarks became the owners of the mansions at Number 1 and Number 3 Rutger Park and their associated estate grounds, including the lot where Number 2 stood from 1850 - 1994. The Philip Hooker designed 3 Rutger Park (

http://www.uticalandmarks.org

New York Cultural Heritage Tourism Network | nychtn.com | Members Area